LaSalle Network is working with a client in the city of Chicago and looking to hire an Outpatient Coder. The Outpatient Coder is a direct hire role. Last year our client’s health system was ranked in the Top 3 in Illinois, and it consistently receives awards for its service and quality. You will utilize your coding expertise to review and assess documentation of clinical conditions and/or chronic disease. We are actively looking for an individual who is passionate about the industry and is looking for an opportunity to join one of the most prestigious Healthcare Systems in the Chicago Area.
The outpatient coder is responsible for the assignment of accurate and complete International Classification of Diseases (ICD), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) and Health Care Financing Administration Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) codes and modifiers for outpatient visits which is essential to the hospital’s cash flow. The outpatient coder is responsible for performing technical duties with a high degree of accuracy and at a fast pace, using the current approved protocols and an electronic encoder for assignment of numerical rubrics to medical conditions, surgical, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to optimize the hospital’s data collection and reimbursement for the patient care rendered. The outpatient coder is also responsible for tracking and abstracting of data for certain cancer, e.g., cancer, trauma, maternal, infant and physician. This position requires knowledge of compliance regulations and medical terminology.
Outpatient Coder Duties and Functions:
- Reads a medical record to discern the underlying clinical condition that was the result of diagnostic tests and/or treatment.
- Applies knowledge of the conventions, rules and guidelines of multiple classification systems to accurately code diagnoses and services.
- Assigns current ICD, CPT, and HCPCS codes and modifiers, using an electronic encoder system for all the various types of outpatient visits.
- Proficient code assignments on outpatient visits are the primary duties of this position.
- Codes will be assigned for the following: Admitting diagnosis, Chief complaint/reason for visit, Secondary diagnosis as applicable, Procedures, as applicable (diagnostic and therapeutic), Evaluation and management services and Other services (diagnostic and therapeutic).
- Identifies and abstracts data per predetermined protocols for certain cases.
- Translates medical record documentation to the accurate and complete code(s), according to industry approved guidelines, department policies, productivity standards and quality expectations.
- Communicates with doctors for clarification of documentation, as needed.
- Performs work that complies with the standards of federal and state oversight agencies, such as the Professional Review Organization (PRO).
- Possesses a working knowledge of the organization and structure of a medical record.
- Works as a team member to get all the work accomplished in a three-day turnaround time at a high level of accuracy.
- Works with Health Information Management students, as assigned.
- Demonstrates how to look up patient information in the automated Master Patient Index.
- Demonstrates understanding of correct terminal digit filing, duplicating equipment, and the pneumatic tube system.
- Understands and thoroughly follows departmental policy on patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications of Outpatient Coder:
- Minimum Experience: 2+ years of Outpatient Coding Experience (Academic Preferred)
- Certifications Required(s): AHIMA: CCS, RHIA, or RHIT - From AAPC: COC
- EMR/EHR: EPIC or Cerner
- Computer Skills: Basic Keyboarding Skills, Microsoft Office Suite, 3M Encoder, Demonstrates keyboarding skills of at least 35 wpm.
If you are qualified and interested in the Outpatient Coder position, please apply today!
Senior Unit Manager, Healthcare Revenue Cycle
Keywords: Outpatient, ICD-9, ICD-10, CPT, HCPCS, Medical Coder, Medical Coding, Coder, Coding, CPC, RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CDI, Clinical Documentation Improvement, cancer, trauma, maternal, infant, physician
LaSalle Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer m/f/d/v.
LaSalle Network is Chicago's leading provider of professional staffing and recruiting services. LaSalle has worked with 10,000 companies, ranging from Fortune 500s to start ups. Specializing in administrative, accounting and finance, marketing, executive search, technology, supply chain, healthcare revenue cycle, call center, and human resources, LaSalle serves companies of all sizes and across all industries.